Pages

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Too Tired

I have quite a bit I would like to blog about, but I'm really too tired to put it together. I'm so glad tomorrow is Friday and Monday is a holiday! We're going to have a busy, but really fun 3 days together. Saturday I'm taking Jack to the pool for the first time. You can expect lots of pictures! Sunday we're going to a cookout with my old running group. None of them have met Jack yet. We're going straight from the cookout to a wedding, which starts at 3:30. It'll be the latest I've ever kept Jack out and the first time since having him that I'll be out past 6:30. Can you believe it?! I really hope he does well and doesn't make too much noise during the ceremony! Monday we're going to take it easy and enjoy some mommy and baby time.

I decided to give Jack a sippy cup at dinner tonight. I have 2 different kinds and I tried them both.

This is made by Green Sprouts and I really love it. I also got him a cup with a straw. Green Sprouts makes safe, non-toxic feeding supplies. I really like their products. The only problem with this sippy cup is it isn't spill-proof and water was dripping on Jack. I'll save it for when he has better control of the cup and knows what to do with it.

This is a Playtex cup and is spill and leak-proof. It takes significantly more effort to get any liquid out, but Jack didn't seem to have a problem. The main problem is getting him to hold it on his own and know what to do with it. He wants to chew on it! When he did get some water out (I helped him), he made a face because I think he was probably expecting milk to come out. It was too cute! I will give him milk in a sippy cup, but only once he definitely knows how to drink from it.

I gave Jack some store-bought cereal last night. It did not taste good at all! I made it with water, which could be the problem, but Jack ate some of it. I made more again tonight and used a little breast milk and a little water. It was still kinda gross! Jack didn't seem to mind too much and ate a few spoonfuls. I will definitely make my own whenever possible. I also think it will be much better when I add fruits or veggies to it or can make it a little thicker. Does anyone know when I can start to thicken it? I imagine it will just be a gradual process as he gets used to it. But how do I know that he'll be able to handle it? Now that we've started (and there's no going back), I'm wishing I could just breastfeed exclusively until he can feed himself and eat finger foods!

This is longer than expected, but still not as long as it could have been. That's probably for the best! I'll post all about our weekend festivities with lots of pictures. Have a great weekend!!

3 comments:

aleelavine said...

Jack is so smiley...that's awesome. Your pics are always so cute!

I have never tried using water with the cereal... I always use breastmilk and it still doesn't taste any good, that's why I decided to start mixing in some fruits/veggies. I try a new one every week to make sure there is no sign of a food allergy. B is already on his 3rd week tomorrow... he LOVES sweet potatoes. He really has gotten a hang of eating off the spoon now and I think that helps too. I try to keep the consistency in the middle - not too liquidy and not too solidy..not a word, I know. :) I still have to figure out how to integrate more solids into his daily feedings because he really is into it now!!!

Have a great Memorial Day weekend with Jack! Can't wait to see pics. Sounds like you two are busy busy busy!

Ashlie said...

I actually gave up on the cereal. P is ready for solids but just harassment the cereal so much. I fed her a tablespoon of pears and she loved it! She was opening her mouth so wide and got super excited when she saw the spoon coming towards her. I am going to introduce one new food a week. Have a fabulous weekend!

Ashlie said...

I meant "hates" the cereal. My phone likes to add words for me:)