Pages

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

I get to...

I read an article in the current issue of Runner's World by Kristin Armstrong. She talks about how she has to make it up a hill during a run. She thinks of people she knows who are struggling and how they would probably love the opportunity to tackle the hill themselves. She decided to change her way of thinking to "I get to" instead of "I have to". She applied it to all aspects of her life and it made her feel much freer. Here's an excerpt from the article:

"At first it felt forced and silly, but after a few days, it became natural. I felt freer, more thoughtful, and more aware of why I do what I do. Perhaps I had become so encumbered with my to-dos that I forgot to be thankful for the opportunity to do them. I realized that it's possible to have a reawakening about the beauty in our lives, to understand that we are so damn lucky to be healthy, to have people to love and the ability to care for them."

My days are long and I don't always want to do the things that need to get done. But I know that I am lucky that I get to do all of them.

I get to:

*Go to work every day
*Wash bottles every night
*Do laundry every week
*Pay bills every month
*Pump at work and give Jack the best start that I can
*Kiss the most adorable chubby little cheeks as much as I want
*Watch an awesome baby boy grow up
*Be a mom

I could add so many things to this list. I'm grateful for everything I have and for everything I get to do. Sometimes we just need to remind ourselves of how lucky we really are. What are some of your "I get tos"?

P.S. I got Jack's sunglasses at Target. They were with the infant bathing suits and sun hats.

2 comments:

B said...

Aww, I love this!

I'm so happy I get to be a mom. Having had cervical cancer a few years ago, there was a time when I wasn't sure that this would happen for me, and while it would've been amazing either way, everyday with A feels like a dream come true.

I got Ava's sunglasses at Target too - cute!

aleelavine said...

I love your blog. Seriously. You are such a thoughtful writer!!! Thanks for that!!! I will post an "I Get to" blog now.... :)